I am a Behavioural Sociologist (Deviance & Crime) and Associate Professor in Criminology (Research) at the University of West London, UK .I have achieved Certified Sociological Practitioner status (C.S.P.), which is granted by the Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology (AACS) and recognized by the USA Commission on the Accreditation of Programs in Applied and Clinical Sociology (CAPACS) and the American Sociological Association. I am also affiliate member of the Psychology Coalition at the United Nations (PCUN).
I am internationally recognised as expert on the European Far-Right extremism and violence and in sport on Hooliganism, crowd violence, prevention and policing. As a Behavioural sociologist, I am interested in the role that unconscious processes play in individuals' decisions and (deviant) behaviours. I am also specialised in Applied Behaviour Analysis and Forensic Interviewing aiming to assess Deception and Credibility.
In all my studies, I use empirical evidence ; so evidence validated by direct experience and observation . My aim is to 'get inside' the way each social group and individuals belonging to it see the world. Speaking and interacting with participants is crucial for me.
European Far-Right: Neo-Fascism & Neo-Nazi Activism and violence
Hooliganism, Ultras & violence and the Far-Right, Policing and Prevention
White Jihad, Policing and Counter-Radicalisation
I have also built an international reputation as an authority in the following research areas: Italian Society (Corruption and Mafia) and the Sociology of Sport (Islamophobia/Racism).
I am currently focusing on the issue of Mafia, Football and Match-fixing.
Current Research Projects
1. The rise of the Far right in the Europe and its Football Terraces:
My research network is composed by several European research institutions (UK, Russia, Greece, Balkans, Ukraine, Italy). This project is highly topical considering the violence at the last European Cup in France and the forthcoming World Cup in Moscow (2018) and issues of prevention, and policing.
2. Football, Corruption and the Mafia: This important study explores the intricate relationships between politics, business, sport and organised crime in Italy and Europe.
3. ENABLE: in collaboration with national police forces, aims to prevent and tackle football spectators’ violence (Hooliganism). ENABLE is led by Professor Clifford Stott; Alberto Testa is member of the scientific committee and Director of the ENABLE Italy
4. BRISWA (the Ball Rolls In the Same Way for All)
I work as an expert in the steering group of the European Union -funded project BRISWA, a project co-financed under the E+ programme (EAC/A04/2015). The project aims to study Racism in football and how it manifests (recent trends), to assess police and makers interventions (good practice) and to provide policy recommendations to stakeholders.
Research Fellow at the Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies (RUSI); UK independent think tank engaged in cutting edge defence and security research
Senior Visiting Research Fellow at the SportComLab- Centre for Research on Sports Communication , Department Of Education Science, at the “Alma Mater Studiorum”-Bologna University (Italy)
Associate Editor of the Journal of Qualitative Criminal Justice & Criminology
External Examiner for the Applied Sociology programme -BA (Hons) ; University of Suffolk (UK) & for the Master (MA) Sociology, Social Policy and Crime; University of Bradford (UK)
I am available for MEDIA consultancy on my research areas
SELECTED MEDIA CONTRIBUTIONS (For all my publications and list of media contributions please go to
Alberto Testa ; THE SUN : "Ultra Violence: Inside Roma’s infamous Fedayn hooligan firm responsible for more than 50 years of stabbings and bloodshed against English football fans" (May 2018)
Alberto Testa ; DAILY MAIL interviewed by Ian Herbert : "Thuggish world of Roma's Ultras: Black uniforms, belts tied to wrists and their calling card is stabbing victims in the buttocks... meet the Fedayn" . (Read by approx 1.5m readers -April 2018)
Alberto Testa; BBC RADIO 5 LIVE show with Nicky Campbell; Topic :Far Right in the European football terrace and "Two AS Roma team ultras (Far right arrested on suspicion of attempted murder of Liverpool fan fighting for life after being hit by belt" (April 2018)
Alberto Testa; IL CORRIERE DELLA SERA interviewed by Paolo Tomaselli; Title : Il Criminologo: “Organizzati e allenati, gli hooligan si trovano sul dark web” (March 2018).
Alberto Testa; TALKRADIO show with James Whale; Topic : Comments on the Italian Elections and the success of the populist Far-Right 'Lega' party and its leader Matteo Salvini (March 2018)
Alberto Testa; LBC show with Nick Ferrari; Topic : Comments on Mark Rowley ( head of UK counter-terrorism policing) on far-right terrorism and on How important it is to acknowledge the rise of far-right violence (February 2018)
Alberto Testa; LBC show with Andrew Pierce; Topic : UK Far-Right violence and radicalisation; underestimated? (February 2018)
Alberto Testa; CNN live with Amanda Davies; Topic : Antisemitism and Football;Video clip from the programme
(October 2017) . https://alberto-testa.co.uk/dr-alberto-testa-cnn-interview-antisemitism/
Alberto Testa; LBC show with John Stapleton; Topic : UKIP leadership contest : "With this leadership election as a backdrop Suzanne Evans spoke to John Stapleton and Dr Alberto Testa, a sociologist specialising in the study of the far-right.Evans objected to sharing a stage with the academic, saying "Why have you got a professor on the far-right in a conversation about Ukip? Ukip is not a far-right organisation"
Video clip from the programme (September 2017)
For Media contributions
Mobile n: +44(0)7585448201
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Nonverbal Behavior
- Political Psychology
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Self and Identity
- Sociology, Social Networks
- Testa, A., & Armstrong, G. (forthcoming, 2012). The UltraS: The extreme right in comtemporary Italian football. In A. Mammone, E. Godin and B. Jenkins (eds.), Varieties of Right-Wing Extremism in Contemporary Europe, Routledge (Series on Extremism and Democracy), London and New York.
- Testa, A., & Armstrong, G. (2010). Football, fascism and fandom: The UltraS of Italian football. London: A and C Black Publishers, Ltd.
- Testa, A. (2012). Bosman ruling. In J. Nauright (Ed.), Sports around the world: History, culture and practice. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.
- Testa, A. (2011). Experiences of online learning: An evaluation of first-year sport sciences university students’ attitudes towards the use of U-Link. International Education Studies, 4(4), 13-21.
- Testa, A. (2010). Contested meanings. The Italian media and the UltraS. Review of European Studies, 1(2), 54-63.
- Testa, A. (2009). UltraS: An emerging social movement. Review of European Studies, 1(2), 54-63.
- Testa, A., & Armstrong, G. (2010). Purity and danger: Policing the Italian Neo-Fascist football UltraS. Criminal Justice Studies: A Critical Journal of Crime, Law and Society, 23(3), 219-237.
- Testa, A., & Armstrong, G. (2008). Words and actions: Italian UltraS and Neo-Fascism. Social Identities, 14(4), 473-490.
- Testa, A. (2011). The normalization of the exception: Issues and controversies of the Italian Counter Hooliganism model, 13th Annual Conference on Global Sociology for a Global World. The Hong Kong Sociological Association. The Chinese Hong Kong University. Hong Kong.
- Testa, A. (2010). Getting off on the wrong foot can doom a relationship before it begins: An evaluation of first year sport sciences university students’ attitudes towards the use of the online virtual learning system. 9th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Social Sciences. Hawaii-USA
- Testa, A. (2010). Using Moral panic to shape the Padania identity: The Italian Lega Nord and the Islam Invasion. Moral Panics in the Contemporary World. International Sociological Conference. Brunel University-London, UK.
- Testa, A. (2009). The importance of Ethnography in making sense of sport. 16th Erasmus-Socrates Sociology Intensive Course. Barcelona-Spain.
- Testa, A. (2007). Revolution from the right? Neo-Fascism in the 21st century Italian football stadia and society, local sport in Europe. In D. Jutting, B. Schulze, and U. Muller (Eds.), Proceedings of the 4th EASS Conference of the European Association for the Sociology of Sport (pp. 142-144). Munster-Germany.
- Testa, A. (2006). Sport e Doping: un analisi sociologica e alcune raccomandazioni (Sport and Doping: a sociological analysis and some recommendations). Programma di formazione/informazione per la tutela della salute nelle attivita’ sportive e prevenzione doping. [Program of Scientific Information to safeguard the health in sports and to prevent doping use]. Ministero della Salute-Istit. Super. di Sanita. Italy CVD 9-9.2, pp. 32-37.
- Testa, A. (2006). The Italian Ultras and Nationalism. Sport, Nation and Nationalism, Proceedings of 3S International Conference on Social Science in Sport and 8th ISHPES Seminar. (International Society for the History of Physical Education and Sport and the International Sociology of Sport Association). Slovenia.
- Contemporary Sociological Theory (2nd year students)
- Penal Theory (3rd year students)
- Policing and Police Powers (2nd year students)
- Research Methods (Master level)
Dr. Alberto Testa
London W5 5RF