I am an Applied Sociologist of Deviance and Crime ; I have achieved Certified Sociological Practitioner status (C.S.P.), which is granted by the Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology (AACS) and recognized by the USA Commission on the Accreditation of Programs in Applied and Clinical Sociology (CAPACS) and the American Sociological Association.
I have researched and published widely on the Far-right/policing and football Ultras (Hooliganism) and I am currently focusing on Mafia power and sport corruption. In all my studies; I use empirical evidence so evidence validated by direct experience and observation . My aim is to 'get inside' the way each social group sees the world. Speaking and interacting with participants is crucial.
My book FOOTBALL FASCISM AND FANDOM is a highly original and empirically rich study on the inner life-world of Far-right Ultras (Hooligans). Second and updated edition in 2019
I am currently writing a research monograph for Routledge titled CORRUPTION, MAFIA POWER AND ITALIAN SOCCER (co-authored by Anna Sergi) goo.gl/gB4MoY
This is a unique study which explores the intricate relationships between politics, business, sport and organised crime in Italy (and in some European countries).
Several organizations have contributed to this book
1. Italian Minister of the Interior (Home office)
2. Italian Anti-Corruption Authority
3. Italian Police and the National Anti-Crime Force
4. Direzione Investigativa Antimafia (equivalent of American FBI and UK NCA)
5. Direzione Distrettuale Antimafia-DDA (Anti-Mafia District Directorate, the ad hoc Italian judicial authority for Mafia)
6. Interpol (Italian unit)
7. Anti-mafia Prosecution Offices
8. Italian Football Federation
9. Lega Serie B
10. Transparency International
11. Libera (Italian anti-Mafia organization)
Currently I am engaged in 4 research projects:
1) The rise of the Extreme right in the European Football Terraces; my research network is composed by 8 European research institutions :
Italy (Alma Mater Studiorum, University of Bologna)
Ukraine (National Technical University of Ukraine; Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute)
Russia (National Research University Higher School of Economics)
Hungary (Hungarian Academy of Sciences)
Germany (Deutsches Jugendinstitut, University of Leipzig)
UK (university of West London and the Institute for Strategic Dialogue
This project is highly topical considering the violence at the last European Cup in France and the forthcoming World Cup in Moscow (2018).
2) Football, Corruption and the Mafia.This important study explores the intricate relationships between politics, business, sport and organised crime in Italy.
3) ENABLE: in collaboration with national police forces, aims to prevent and tackle football spectators’ violence (HOOLIGANISM). ENABLE is led by Professor Clifford Stott; Alberto Testa is member of the scientific committee and Director of the ENABLE Italy.
4) I work as expert in the steering group of the EUROPEAN UNION -funded project BRISWA (the Ball Rolls In the Same Way for All), a project co-financed under the E+ programme (EAC/A04/2015). The project aims to study RACISM how it manifests (recent trends), how the police and decision-makers have approached it (best and failed practices) and it aims to provide policy recommendations.
Research Fellow at the Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies (RUSI); UK independent think tank engaged in cutting edge defence and security research http://shoc.rusi.org/researchers/dr-alberto-testa
Visiting Senior Research Fellow at the SportComLab; Centre for Research on Sports Communication , Department Of Education Science, Alma Mater Studiorum; University of Bologna-Italy
Member of the UK Higher Education Forum for Learning and Development in Policing.
Associate Editor for the Journal of Qualitative Criminal Justice & Criminology. The official Peer review Journal of the Southwestern Association of Criminal Justice (USA) http://www.jqcjc.org
External Examiner for the Applied Sociology programme, University of Suffolk.
Ultras, Hooliganism and Far-Right violence, prevention and policing
European Extreme Right: Italian Neo-Fascism , Neo-Nazism Activism
Italian Society and Mafia
Sociology of Sport (deviance /racism/corruption)
I am available for MEDIA consultancy on my research areas
SELECTED MEDIA CONTRIBUTIONS (For all my publications and media contributions please go to www.alberto-testa.co.uk )
Dr Alberto Testa; TalkRadio (News UK group) The Week with Jonny Gould; Topic : The Italian Constitutional Referendum and Brexit, (December, 2016)
Dr Alberto Testa; TalkRadio (News UK group) Sunday Breakfast show with Jake Yapp; Topic: The rise of the “Alternative Right “ in the USA and the Extreme Right in Europe, (November, 2016)
Dr Alberto Testa took to the airwaves again over the weekend in an interview and phone-in with LBC journalist Tom Swarbrick about football hooliganism in the Euro 2016 finals. Watch a small clip from the program http://bit.ly/2gLDxYp
Dr Alberto Testa; THE VOICE OF AMERICA ; TV Interview as an expert of Hooliganism and the Extreme Right activism. Topic: Violence and Neo nazism at the European Cup in France (June, 2016) http://bit.ly/2gjb8pf
Dr Alberto Testa; LBC HOSTED BY CLIVE BULL; Radio Interview as an expert of Hooliganism and the Extreme Right activism. Topic: Violence and the European Football Cup in France (June, 2016)
Dr Alberto Testa; BBC RADIO LEEDS; Radio Interview as an expert of Hooliganism and the Extreme Right activism. Topic: Violence and the European Football Cup in France (June, 2016)
Dr Alberto Testa; BBC Radio 5 Live-Sunday Breakfast (hosted by Sam Walker and Chris Warburton) as an applied sociologist and Hooliganism expert. Topic: UltraS violence-Fiorentina vs Naples. Naples fans and police officer left with gunshots wounds as four are injured after violent clashes ahead of the Coppa Italia final. Policing issues (May, 2014)
For Media contributions
Mobile n: +44(0)7585448201
- Testa, A., & Armstrong, G. (forthcoming, 2012). The UltraS: The extreme right in comtemporary Italian football. In A. Mammone, E. Godin and B. Jenkins (eds.), Varieties of Right-Wing Extremism in Contemporary Europe, Routledge (Series on Extremism and Democracy), London and New York.
- Testa, A., & Armstrong, G. (2010). Football, fascism and fandom: The UltraS of Italian football. London: A and C Black Publishers, Ltd.
- Testa, A. (2012). Bosman ruling. In J. Nauright (Ed.), Sports around the world: History, culture and practice. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.
- Testa, A. (2011). Experiences of online learning: An evaluation of first-year sport sciences university students’ attitudes towards the use of U-Link. International Education Studies, 4(4), 13-21.
- Testa, A. (2010). Contested meanings. The Italian media and the UltraS. Review of European Studies, 1(2), 54-63.
- Testa, A. (2009). UltraS: An emerging social movement. Review of European Studies, 1(2), 54-63.
- Testa, A., & Armstrong, G. (2010). Purity and danger: Policing the Italian Neo-Fascist football UltraS. Criminal Justice Studies: A Critical Journal of Crime, Law and Society, 23(3), 219-237.
- Testa, A., & Armstrong, G. (2008). Words and actions: Italian UltraS and Neo-Fascism. Social Identities, 14(4), 473-490.
- Testa, A. (2011). The normalization of the exception: Issues and controversies of the Italian Counter Hooliganism model, 13th Annual Conference on Global Sociology for a Global World. The Hong Kong Sociological Association. The Chinese Hong Kong University. Hong Kong.
- Testa, A. (2010). Getting off on the wrong foot can doom a relationship before it begins: An evaluation of first year sport sciences university students’ attitudes towards the use of the online virtual learning system. 9th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Social Sciences. Hawaii-USA
- Testa, A. (2010). Using Moral panic to shape the Padania identity: The Italian Lega Nord and the Islam Invasion. Moral Panics in the Contemporary World. International Sociological Conference. Brunel University-London, UK.
- Testa, A. (2009). The importance of Ethnography in making sense of sport. 16th Erasmus-Socrates Sociology Intensive Course. Barcelona-Spain.
- Testa, A. (2007). Revolution from the right? Neo-Fascism in the 21st century Italian football stadia and society, local sport in Europe. In D. Jutting, B. Schulze, and U. Muller (Eds.), Proceedings of the 4th EASS Conference of the European Association for the Sociology of Sport (pp. 142-144). Munster-Germany.
- Testa, A. (2006). Sport e Doping: un analisi sociologica e alcune raccomandazioni (Sport and Doping: a sociological analysis and some recommendations). Programma di formazione/informazione per la tutela della salute nelle attivita’ sportive e prevenzione doping. [Program of Scientific Information to safeguard the health in sports and to prevent doping use]. Ministero della Salute-Istit. Super. di Sanita. Italy CVD 9-9.2, pp. 32-37.
- Testa, A. (2006). The Italian Ultras and Nationalism. Sport, Nation and Nationalism, Proceedings of 3S International Conference on Social Science in Sport and 8th ISHPES Seminar. (International Society for the History of Physical Education and Sport and the International Sociology of Sport Association). Slovenia.
- Penal Theory (Level 3)
- Policing and Police Powers (Level 2).
- Research Methods (Master level)
- Work Based Learning (Criminology related work placements)
Dr. Alberto Testa
London W5 5RF